From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to play quicktime (*.mov) videos with firefox
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 12:35:21
1 On Sun, August 30, 2009 19:23, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
5 >> You have it wrong.
8 > A not unusual state of affairs for me, I'll admit.
11 > After several yrs on gentoo... I still don't understand fully the use
12 > of the USE flags.
13 >
14 >> "USE=<thing>" is supposed to add *support* for <thing>, not
15 >> necessarily *install* something called <thing>. Whatever <thing> means in
16 >> the context of a specific ebuild depends on what the ebuild is for, and
17 >> different ebuilds with the same USE flag may have entirely different
18 >> DEPEND stanzas, depending on how the package is
19 >> written and what it needs to build/run.
20 >
21 > But wouldn't having the gnome use flag active cause updates to pull in
22 > stuff that may not be necessary for the one or two gnome based tools $user
23 > wants?
24
25 USE flags don't pull into your system things that are not required.
26 If you enable a given feature and extra stuff is required, then it
27 is required. Otherwise, just disable the feature and that way you
28 will remove the dependencies.
29
30 You don't have to enable it globally either. If you only require the
31 feature for a given program use package.use instead of putting the
32 USE in your make.conf, that way you will limit the scope of the use
33 flag to a given package.
36 Jesús Guerrero