From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 18:11:15
1 On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Well, I think my machine is possessed or something.  I'm getting random
3 > reboots here.  When it does this, it is like hitting the reset button.  It
4 > is sitting on the grub screen when it does this.  I noticed the first time
5 > the other day and this was before adding the extra memory.  I seemed to be
6 > stable at 4Gbs but I seem to be rebooting at random.  I ran memtest
7 > yesterday, it checked fine.  It didn't find a error but it looked like it
8 > was only testing part of it.  Memtest recognizes all 16Gbs on the last run
9 > but it didn't seem to be testing it all.  Is there a trick to getting it to
10 > test the whole thing?
11
12 When you say "memtest" what memtest are you using, exactly? The one
13 from the kernel?
14
15 I prefer memtest86+ as it is updated and has support for the latest
16 CPUs and memory configurations. You can install it from portage and
17 add an entry to your Grub menu and don't need to mess with bootable CD
18 or USB or anything like that.
19
20 You can test specific ranges, if you suspect the new RAM is causing
21 trouble. Full memory testing of all patterns with 16 gigs of RAM can
22 take forever, but in my experience tests 5 and 8 in memtest86+ are
23 typically the only tests that actually produce errors on modern
24 systems. If you're in a hurry you can just run test 5 and that'll give
25 you many more passes in a shorter time. I would at least want to run
26 this kind of test for 12 hours with no errors before trusting the
27 machine. 24 or 48 hours if you can afford the wait. :)
28
29 If it does not always recognize the full 16GB i would suspect you need
30 to increase the voltage to your RAM. You may also (or instead) need to
31 reduce the memory speed.
32
33 On my previous motherboard, an Abit, with Patriot DDR2 RAM, it could
34 handle 4GB of RAM (2x2GB) no problems, running at recommended voltage
35 and full speed. When I doubled that to 8GB (4x2GB) it crashed often,
36 but not constantly. It could not pass an overnight memory test. I
37 ultimately had to raise the voltage by 0.3 and reduce the speed from
38 800MHz to 667MHz. I ran memtest86+ for 3 days and it had no errors.
39 After that it worked like a champ for 2 years, no problems.
40
41 Also, if you're using DDR3 which contains XMP data (timing and voltage
42 presets, basically) beware that it can sometimes be wrong. I have used
43 2 different brands of RAM whose XMP data did not match the values
44 printed on the packaging. The manufacturers both times suggested I use
45 what's printed on the packaging and ignore what the chip itself tells
46 me.
47
48 And of course on my recent Core i7 920 build, I spent a month trying
49 to get OCZ Gold RAM to work properly with my Gigabyte motherboard.
50 After 2 DOA sticks exchanged and a month of trying everything I could
51 possibly think of it still failed memory tests (sometimes it would
52 only fail after 5 or 6 hours of testing) and I gave up and returned it
53 to the store for a refund. I ordered some Corsair XMS3 RAM online
54 instead, it worked right away with the recommended settings, no
55 messing around, and I've been running happily ever after. :)