From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:14:56
1 On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 09:45:58AM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Grant Edwards wrote:
3 > > On 2020-04-02, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> Oooooooo. <me wipes up the drool> That nvme speed is faaaasssssstttt.
6 > >> Do you happen to have the OS on that and if so, just how fast does it go
7 > >> from BIOS or Grub to bootup complete? I'm almost scared to ask. o_O
8 > > I've been wondering if older fairly generic motherboards (7-8 years
9 > > old) from the likes of Asrock would be able to boot from an NVMe card
10 > > using a PCIe adapter like this:
11 > >
12 > > https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Express-Controller-Expansion/dp/B075MDH28Y
13 > >
14 > > I suspect not...
15 > >
16 > > --
17 > > Grant
18 >
19 > I have a Gigabyte 970 that is only a few years old and it doesn't
20 > support it.  I wish it did.
21
22 Well, raw throughput is great ’n all, but in real-life you won’t notice much
23 difference between a SATA and an NVME drive. The bottleneck quickly becomes
24 the CPU again during boot or loading more complex applications (browser,
25 office). The biggest improvement in those situation comes from the fast
26 “seeking” and reading of many small files. HDDs are at a big disatvantage
27 here due to their moving head and mechanical seeking.
28
29 In fact I doubt you have many use cases for reading many gigabytes at a time
30 over and over again every day without much CPU overhead, like video editing
33 Due to their immense speed, those NVMEs also tend to heat up quite a bit
34 under load, eventually leading to throttling. So from a practical POV, and
35 since you’re on a budget, I suggest cutting cost by staying with SATA.
38 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
39 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
40
41 “He doesn’t know how to use the three seashells!”