From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SDD, what features to look for and what to avoid.
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 15:39:07
1 Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 02, 2020 at 09:45:58AM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2020-04-02, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> Oooooooo. <me wipes up the drool> That nvme speed is faaaasssssstttt.
7 >>>> Do you happen to have the OS on that and if so, just how fast does it go
8 >>>> from BIOS or Grub to bootup complete? I'm almost scared to ask. o_O
9 >>> I've been wondering if older fairly generic motherboards (7-8 years
10 >>> old) from the likes of Asrock would be able to boot from an NVMe card
11 >>> using a PCIe adapter like this:
12 >>>
13 >>> https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Adapter-Express-Controller-Expansion/dp/B075MDH28Y
14 >>>
15 >>> I suspect not...
16 >>>
17 >>> --
18 >>> Grant
19 >> I have a Gigabyte 970 that is only a few years old and it doesn't
20 >> support it.  I wish it did.
21 > Well, raw throughput is great ’n all, but in real-life you won’t notice much
22 > difference between a SATA and an NVME drive. The bottleneck quickly becomes
23 > the CPU again during boot or loading more complex applications (browser,
24 > office). The biggest improvement in those situation comes from the fast
25 > “seeking” and reading of many small files. HDDs are at a big disatvantage
26 > here due to their moving head and mechanical seeking.
27 >
28 > In fact I doubt you have many use cases for reading many gigabytes at a time
29 > over and over again every day without much CPU overhead, like video editing
32 > Due to their immense speed, those NVMEs also tend to heat up quite a bit
33 > under load, eventually leading to throttling. So from a practical POV, and
34 > since you’re on a budget, I suggest cutting cost by staying with SATA.
38 Yea, I don't see me getting a nvme anyway.  They kind of pricey.  While
39 fast, I have more time than I do money.  I do try to keep my rig in a
40 good place as far as age tho.  I may try to upgrade my mobo in a couple
41 years but stick with my current CPU and memory.  Mobos do go bad with
42 age, I've read about caps blowing their top and stinking up a room quite
43 well.
44
45 While I don't edit videos, I do have several terabytes of video.  I
46 mostly just play them tho and they play fine with no skipping or
47 anything so what I got is plenty fast for that.  I mostly just want the
48 OS itself on something faster but also newer since that HDD I have now
49 has some age on it.
50
51 I still find the nvmes interestingly fast.  Wow!!
52
53 Dale
54
56
57 P. S. My top fan in my Cooler Master HAF-932 case got stuck the other
58 day.  It stopped spinning and gkrellm was kind enough to let me know
59 that.  I took it out, oiled it good and it works fine again.  I also
60 oiled the side fan and the front fan.  I got some high dollar gun oil I
61 use for those.  It's super slick, handles a wide range of temps and
62 lasts for ages.  I've used it in several fans.  Even my old CPU cooler
63 fan still runs.  I replaced it over a year ago.  I use the old one to
64 dry counter tops, dishes and cool batteries I'm charging.