From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 00:04:31
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Dale, I have better experience with sys-apps/memtester for catching
3 > memory errors - though running it over night. You can tell it what to
4 > test.
5 >
6 > Furthermore I had one machine (an AMD Phenom II) where I got random
7 > errors though all memory tests went through without a problem.
8 > I suspected a cache coherence bug since this was quad core processor.
9 >
10 > Once, I have replaced this CPU only, i.e. with the same memory, the
11 > spook was over.
12 >
13 > Therefore, if you have a multi-core CPU, run memtester simultaneously
14 > (on different parts of the memory) as many times as you have cores.
15 >
16 > I hope, this helps,
17 > Helmut.
20 I'm going to keep this in mind and I'll run memtester here in a bit. I
21 booted a USB stick and it ran a long time with no problem. I took a nap
22 and when I got back up, it was still running. It may still be hardware
23 but this is a good sign. I would rather it be a bad version of gcc, bad
24 kernel or something than bad hardware. I can update those easily
25 enough. I have had 30 days of uptime on this specific kernel tho so I
26 sort of doubt it is that. Still, it could be anything.
27
28 I kind of suspect the ram tho. When I added that, I had it to reboot
29 itself. Before that, solid as a rock. I may just disconnect and
30 reconnect everything later on too. Just in case I pulled something
31 slightly off when installing the ram.
32
33 Thanks.
34
35 Dale