From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Random reboots. Where to start?
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 17:04:25
1 On 02/25/2011 04:33:20 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Well, I think my machine is possessed or something. I'm getting
3 > random
4 > reboots here. When it does this, it is like hitting the reset
5 > button.
6 >
7 > It is sitting on the grub screen when it does this. I noticed the
8 > first
9 > time the other day and this was before adding the extra memory. I
10 > seemed to be stable at 4Gbs but I seem to be rebooting at random. I
11 > ran
12 > memtest yesterday, it checked fine. It didn't find a error but it
13 > looked like it was only testing part of it. Memtest recognizes all
14 > 16Gbs on the last run but it didn't seem to be testing it all. Is
15 > there
16 > a trick to getting it to test the whole thing?
19 Dale, I have better experience with sys-apps/memtester for catching
20 memory errors - though running it over night. You can tell it what to
21 test.
22
23 Furthermore I had one machine (an AMD Phenom II) where I got random
24 errors though all memory tests went through without a problem.
25 I suspected a cache coherence bug since this was quad core processor.
26
27 Once, I have replaced this CPU only, i.e. with the same memory, the
28 spook was over.
29
30 Therefore, if you have a multi-core CPU, run memtester simultaneously
31 (on different parts of the memory) as many times as you have cores.
32
33 I hope, this helps,
34 Helmut.