From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 13:30:21
1 On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 14:12:17 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > > I still don't understand what's so bad with MAC-based
5 > > identification? I mean, uniqueness defined through MAC Address
6 > > identity, the system name is just a label...
7 >
8 > MAC addresses are not human-friendly. It would be OK if you could set
9 > up aliases, so your firewall rules could use enaabbccddeeff while you
10 > could still type eth0.
11
12 It used to be dead easy to link the MAC to the device type and number
13 from dmesg without looking up the MAC to Manufacturer codes. A lot of
14 useful information seems to have been removed from the linux dmesg?
15 atleast on 3.2 kernels.