From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dual boot install advice
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 04:15:28
1 James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
2
3 > Once again, I'm installing several amd64 systems with dual boot XP.
4 > I always have to nuke the XP, reformat, leave sda1 for XP and continue
5 > on with the install. Since I am installing Gentoo first (amd64 livedcd)
6 > is there any things to watch out for, when I go back and put XP on the sda1
7 > partition?
8
9 Well, I know it's not kosher to answer your own emails, but here's what I did
10 for lack of a smoother proceedure.
11
12 1. Use livedCD to reformat the entire drive. NTFS is formated onto the first
13 partition sda1.
14 2. Use the remainder of the disk for Gentoo, reiserfs.
15 3. Continue on with the livedcd install, using the amd64 binaries
16 on the disk; quick and easy.
17 4. Reboot the system with XP (do not use recovery CD) in the cdrom drive.
18 5. Install XP in the NTFS (sda1) partition; leave the NTFS formating
19 performed during the LiveCD installation process (never trust Microsoft
20 with disk formatting.
21
22 6. Since it will now only boot XP, I load the liveCD for AMD64 into the CDrom
23 and reboot.
24 7. Boot up the livecd and fire up a terminal session.
25 8. go root (sudo su).
26 9. mkdir /mnt/temp
27 10. mount /dev/sda2 /mnt /temp (location of /boot partition).
28 11 run grub 'grub'
29 a. grub> root (hd0,1)
30 b grub> setup (hd0)
31 c grub> quit
32
33 Just like the handbook. I had to use 'hd' even though the drive is an
34 sd (sata) drive with grub......
35
36 I wish there was a smoother way to perform dual boot installs?
37
38 Hope this helps somebody else....it works for me. and is now fairly
39 mechanical....
40
41 James
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list