From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Fontconfig messed up my fonts
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 20:49:04
1 Hello gentoo users,
2
3 Today I updated my system, including fontconfig from 2.9.0 to the latest
4 unstable 2.10.2, and after reboot I was quite unhappy to see all my
5 fonts become ugly, well, can't describe exactly, kind of as if back in
6 1980s. (not that antialiasing disappeared or bad hinting, it was just
7 the fonts being ugly -- a well antialiased, hi-res crap)
8 I don't know the reason, but I don't think the problem was in the
9 /etc/fonts/conf.d settings, at least I didn't notice major changes after
10 the update (using diff). And all the stuff like lcdfilter remained enabled.
11 I didn't have any special settings, neither in /etc/fonts/conf.d, nor in
12 my home dir or elsewhere, because I really enjoyed the default rendering
13 style.
14 So after all I downgraded fontconfig and the fonts' rendering is
15 restored and now I enjoy it again, so I deem the issue to be the problem
16 of the fontconfig-2.10.2 package. Regardless of whether it's
17 configuration- or library-related, with the latter more likely, one
18 wouldn't like package updates to break existing setups.
19 P.S. I've just thought it could be fonts cache which I noticed to
20 contain entries as old as September, but if the new package can not work
21 with old cache, I believe its ebuild should clear it, shouldn't it?
25 Best wishes,
26 Yuri K. Shatroff