From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fontconfig messed up my fonts
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:41:19
1 On 04/03/2013 22:48, Yuri K. Shatroff wrote:
2 > Hello gentoo users,
3 >
4 > Today I updated my system, including fontconfig from 2.9.0 to the latest
5 > unstable 2.10.2, and after reboot I was quite unhappy to see all my
6 > fonts become ugly, well, can't describe exactly, kind of as if back in
7 > 1980s. (not that antialiasing disappeared or bad hinting, it was just
8 > the fonts being ugly -- a well antialiased, hi-res crap)
9 > I don't know the reason, but I don't think the problem was in the
10 > /etc/fonts/conf.d settings, at least I didn't notice major changes after
11 > the update (using diff). And all the stuff like lcdfilter remained enabled.
12 > I didn't have any special settings, neither in /etc/fonts/conf.d, nor in
13 > my home dir or elsewhere, because I really enjoyed the default rendering
14 > style.
15 > So after all I downgraded fontconfig and the fonts' rendering is
16 > restored and now I enjoy it again, so I deem the issue to be the problem
17 > of the fontconfig-2.10.2 package. Regardless of whether it's
18 > configuration- or library-related, with the latter more likely, one
19 > wouldn't like package updates to break existing setups.
20 > P.S. I've just thought it could be fonts cache which I noticed to
21 > contain entries as old as September, but if the new package can not work
22 > with old cache, I believe its ebuild should clear it, shouldn't it?
23
24 Well, it's probably not fontconfig, it's more likely the GUI software
25 you use that has issues.
26
27 fontconfig-2.10.2 is fine here with KDE-4.10 apps and most of Mozilla's
28 stuff.
29
30 What GUI software do you run that has issues? And is it ALL apps, or
31 just a few you use often and might notice it more?
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com