From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI install noob questions
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:53:34
1 On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 22:48:54 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I've got two scripts in /usr/src that I run from /usr/src/linux.
4 > The script "makeover" is run just after "make menuconfig" and
5 > includes (amongst other things)
6 >
7 > make && \
8 > make modules_install && \
9 > cp arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel.experimental && \
10 > cp System.map /boot/System.map.experimental && \
11 > cp .config /boot/config.experimental && \
12
13 > Obviously won't need the "lilo" command. Replace all references to
14 > "/boot" with "/boot/EFI" and the kernels go to /boot/EFI which leaves
15 > just the question of how to set up grub.
16
17 Kernels still go to /boot if you are using a boot manager.
18
19 > I'd like a text-based menu
20 > that defaults to the production kernel if no keypress after 15 seconds.
21 > Question: does grub have to be re-run or otherwise re-initialised when
22 > I overwrite a kernel with a newer one of the same name?
23
24 No.
25
26 I understand why someone used to GRUB would want to continue with it on a
27 UEFI system, but you have no experience of it so why are you picking the
28 boot manager that is hardest to configure, not to mention the most
29 bloated?
30
31 Referencing your sig, GRUB is the desktop environment of boot managers,
32 the boot loader equivalent of emacs :)
36 Neil Bothwick
37
38 One-seventh of life is spent on Monday.