From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation cd vs system rescue cd
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 16:15:57
1 On Wednesday 01 Jul 2015 16:33:42 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 07/01/2015 08:17 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
3 > > My new laptop should arrive this month. It will presumably support
4 > > UEFI, which I have never used before.
5 > >
6 > > I have two questions.
7 > >
8 > > 1. The gentoo handbook favors using the minimal installation CD. I
9 > > downloaded the iso, verified it's integrity, and "burned" it to a USB
10 > > stick with dd.
11 >
12 > I don't think the minimal CD has UEFI support. At least it didn't when I
13 > installed gentoo on my UEFI systems, but that was some time ago now.
14 >
15 > > However the wiki page "UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8" says to use a
16 > > system rescue CD. Is that required or can I use the minimal
17 > > installation CD?
18 >
19 > You can either use SystemRescueCD or use a Mint boot CD. Both are UEFI
20 > bootable. Make sure you actually boot in UEFI mode though, most BIOSes
21 > have a key to bring up the boot menu with a list of choices. UEFI boot
22 > sources are clearly marked there (at least they were when I installed.)
23 >
24 > I myself used the Mint CD (I had one on hand already) so I had a browser
25 > to bring up webpages while I installed.
26 >
27 > > 2. The handbook, when discussing Booting the installation CD, says
28 > >
29 > > Important
30 > > When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface
31 > > instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If
32 > > not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick
33 > > (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux
34 > > installation.
35 >
36 > If you use SystemRescueCD or the Mint boot CD you'll boot in UEFI mode
37 > so this is irrelevant. Pretty certain you need to be booted in UEFI to
38 > install the boot loader of your choice. I stuck with grub2 and had no
39 > issues installing it.
40 >
41 > > I don't understand what I am to do? Must I change the USB stick to
42 > > somehow specify UEFI? Or will the laptop firmware ask me whether to
43 > > boot UEFI? Or something else?
44 >
45 > The boot CD/USB needs to support UEFI, if it doesn't you can't boot in
46 > that mode. I think my NUC was F10 or F12 to show the boot menu, then you
47 > can pick the UEFI boot source.
48 >
49 > Dan
50
51 If it comes preinstalled with MSWindows you will need to go into BIOS and
52 disable 'booting from legacy BIOS' or 'Compatibility Support Module', as well
53 as disabling Secure Boot (select Other OS rather than MSWindows). The actual
54 terminology depends on your MoBo, I'm just sharing here what the Asus MoBos
55 use.
56
57 The first setting will make sure you will boot into UEFI, rather than MBR.
58 The second setting will make sure that the MoBo will not fail to boot due to
59 your kernel not being digitally signed by Redmond.
60 --
61 Regards,
62 Mick