From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal installation cd vs system rescue cd
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:34:21
1 On 07/01/2015 08:17 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2 > My new laptop should arrive this month. It will presumably support
3 > UEFI, which I have never used before.
4 >
5 > I have two questions.
6 >
7 > 1. The gentoo handbook favors using the minimal installation CD. I
8 > downloaded the iso, verified it's integrity, and "burned" it to a USB
9 > stick with dd.
10
11 I don't think the minimal CD has UEFI support. At least it didn't when I
12 installed gentoo on my UEFI systems, but that was some time ago now.
15 > However the wiki page "UEFI_Dual_boot_with_Windows_7/8" says to use a
16 > system rescue CD. Is that required or can I use the minimal
17 > installation CD?
18
19 You can either use SystemRescueCD or use a Mint boot CD. Both are UEFI
20 bootable. Make sure you actually boot in UEFI mode though, most BIOSes
21 have a key to bring up the boot menu with a list of choices. UEFI boot
22 sources are clearly marked there (at least they were when I installed.)
23
24 I myself used the Mint CD (I had one on hand already) so I had a browser
25 to bring up webpages while I installed.
28 > 2. The handbook, when discussing Booting the installation CD, says
29 >
30 > Important
31 > When installing Gentoo with the purpose of using the UEFI interface
32 > instead of BIOS, it is recommended to boot with UEFI immediately. If
33 > not, then it might be necessary to create a bootable UEFI USB stick
34 > (or other medium) once before finalizing the Gentoo Linux
35 > installation.
36
37 If you use SystemRescueCD or the Mint boot CD you'll boot in UEFI mode
38 so this is irrelevant. Pretty certain you need to be booted in UEFI to
39 install the boot loader of your choice. I stuck with grub2 and had no
40 issues installing it.
43 > I don't understand what I am to do? Must I change the USB stick to
44 > somehow specify UEFI? Or will the laptop firmware ask me whether to
45 > boot UEFI? Or something else?
46
47 The boot CD/USB needs to support UEFI, if it doesn't you can't boot in
48 that mode. I think my NUC was F10 or F12 to show the boot menu, then you
49 can pick the UEFI boot source.
50
51 Dan