From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Last rites: app-text/xpdf
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 02:59:45
1 120127 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > # Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> (27 Jan 2012)
3 > # Has developed into an unmaintainable mess, and everyone who
4 > # knows about it is either retired or missing in action.
5 > # Several minor bugs and one ugly security issues (#386271).
6 > # Masked for removal because of lack of maintainer.
7
8 I use Xpdf frequently & have no problem with it.
9 The security bug you cite says there is a newer version 3.03
10 which fixes at least some of the security problems.
11 If you limit yourself sensibly to PDFs from known reliable sites,
12 you won't run into the problem in Bug 386271 AFAIK.
13 The bug I submitted is minor & has a workaround, which I use.
14
15 Is there an alternative which doesn't require eg 'kdelibs' or similar ?
16 In my netbook, Xpdf is the only method I have of reading PDFs,
17 as I use Fluxbox & don't have KDE installed at all.
18
19 There is a fork of some kind at https://github.com/rbrito/xpdf-poppler ,
20 which is given as the contact by 'eix'.
21
22 I very much hope there is at least an alternative
23 or otherwise some reconsideration of removing Xpdf from Gentoo.
27 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
28 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
29 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca