From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External HDD: sector size incorrectly detected on first connect
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 09:45:42
1 Hi
2
3 while I haven't had a chance to try the external HDD on my brother's
4 Windows computer yet, I did notice one thing: when I turn the HDD off (i.e.,
5 unplug its AC) for several hours and turn it back on (with my PC still running
6 the entire time) the problem does *not* show up.
7
8 I would think that this points to a driver problem, but then again, the problem
9 also fails to show up when I reboot my computer while the drive stays on.
10
11 The only time when the problem consistently shows up is when I turn my computer
12 off for a longer period of time (with or without turning off the power strip
13 the PC and HDD are attached to). For example, after turning the PC off for the
14 night, the problem always occurs after I turn it back on in the morning.
15
16 I wonder if it has anything to do with my USB3 PCI card.
17
18 (This is, incidentally, why I haven't been able to try it with my brother's PC
19 yet: the only condition where I know the that the problem will show up is after
20 leaving my computer off for the night or while I'm gone during the day. So I
21 would have to try it with my brother in the morning or evening, but that has
22 not been possible yet.)
23
24 One more thing I'll try: not having the HDD plugged into the USB3 slot when my
25 computer boots up.
26
27 Greetings
28 --
29 Marc Joliet
30 --
31 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
32 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup