From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External HDD: sector size incorrectly detected on first connect
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:24:38
1 Am Fri, 06 Mar 2015 18:33:13 -0800
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 > On 03/06/2015 11:44 AM, Marc Joliet wrote:
5 > <mega-snip>
6 >
7 > > What happens is that when I (cold) boot my desktop, my external Toshiba 3TB
8 > > drive (which is always connected via USB3) is detected, but cannot mount. It
9 > > *does* work once I unplug the USB3 plug and plug it back in.
10 >
11 > I once hated replies containing the question "Does it work under Windows?" but
12 > a bit of experience with usb3 external drives has made me rethink the matter.
13 >
14 > Here's my thinking: if the usb3 drive works correctly with Windows but not
15 > with linux, the problem is software -- i.e. the device driver.
16
17 That's what I hope.
18
19 > The xhci driver is under heavy development because usb3 is still new tech, and
20 > I've found and reported a few bugs in the last year or so and they got fixed.
21
22 Yeah, if its anything like the uas module, it'll have had many quirks added to
23 it in a short amount of time.
24
25 > If your Toshiba drive has no partitions formatted in an M$ filesystem, you
26 > could use gparted to make some free space on the drive and then create and
27 > format a new M$-readable partition just for testing purposes.
28
29 That'll be annoyingly time consuming, but I suppose you're right.
30
31 > I'm sure you don't have a Windows machine yourself, so you will need to make
32 > friends with somebody who does ;)
33
34 As a matter of fact, my brother has one ;) .
35
36 Greetings
37 --
38 Marc Joliet
39 --
40 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
41 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup