From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Adsl, rp-ppoe and new IP assignment
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 02:09:24
1 No easy fix: I wrote a script that checks my ISP's front page using
2 "GET" every 30 seconds. When an error occurs, it starts checking the
3 dhcp assigned via the adsl modem IP address every 5 seconds until it
4 gets a valid address so it can restart apache, update dyndns, checking
5 that dhcp hasnt gone wheels up and so on.
6
7 The reason to use GET is that itself has not proven very reliable in
8 picking up that something has changed so dhcp itself needs checking.
9
10 Its proven quite a reliable method over time, and the short break in
11 service is tolerable (and very rarely noticed) for my usage.
12
13 BillK