From: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kvm/libvirt and kernel configuration
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:44:53
1 On Monday 22 April 2013 15:17:20 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On 04/22/2013 03:04 PM, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
3 > > Regarding devices which devices qemu-kvm supports, just take a look
4 at
5 > > following commands:
6 > >
7 > > Available net devices:
8 > >
9 > > qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,model=?
10 > >
11 > > Available cpu's:
12 > >
13 > > qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
14 > >
15 > > Available machines (if needed)
16 > >
17 > > qemu-system-x86_64 -machine ?
18 > >
19 > > General list of available devices:
20 > >
21 > > qemu-system-x86_64 -device ?
25 > > Depending on your arch it might differ..
29 > > Regarding virito devices:
30 > >
31 > > I highly recommend using those drivers. For my gentoo guests i always
32 > > use virtio drivers for network devices (with vhost=on) and harddisks.
33 > > (on windows guests only virito-net drivers) The performance gain is
34 > > incredible. However, especially for the virtio harddisk driver, make
35 > > sure you change fstab entries, because harddisk names change from
36 sda to
37 > > vda (or just use them from the beginning.
41 > > If you going to try out desktop vm's too i also recommend qxl with
42 > > spice. It's really fast and it also supports copy/paste (however you
43 > > need an service for copy/paste on linux "app-emulation/spice-
44 vdagent")
45 > > and window resizing. Those features also work on windows.
46 >
47 > Good to know. Does it work over the network, or does it presume local
48 > connectivity? My primary use case is connecting to the box over
49 > wireless. My secondary use case is connecting over a WAN link. Local
50 > connectivity is out of the question for this VM server.
51
52 It works over the network. I have all my vms on a server and i only access
53 those vm's over network. As client i suggest net-misc/spice-gtk.
54 >
55 > > Regarding libvirt my experience is actually very low since i setup my
56 > > vms with an custom init script. You can take a look on it here:
57 > > https://github.com/mm1ke/qemu-init/tree/devel
58 >
59 > I'm actually not having any real difficulty setting up the VMs. As I
60 > said, the matter is largely academic. It's really not difficult to set
61 > up a guest primarily with virtio drivers, of course.
62 >
63 > The "problem" I'm trying to solve is the apparent lack of documentation
64 > mapping host kvm/qemu capabilities with guest kernel configurations
65 >
66 > > I can also provide a basic kernel .config for the latest stable kernel
67 > > on x64 and x86 if you are interrested.
68 >
69 > Like Stefan, I'm also curious. I would probably go through and tweak a
70 > number of network-related features (add a netfilter feature here,
71 remove
72 > a network stack component there), but it'd be interesting to look at.
73
74 Below are both configs (kernel 3.7.10)(hope bpaste is ok).
75 If you going to use them and don't use virtio-net make sure you enable
76 appropriate net drivers (e1000,rtl8129,..), because i've disabled all of
77 them.
78
79 http://bpaste.net/show/93300/
80 http://bpaste.net/show/93301/