From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kvm/libvirt and kernel configuration
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:19:42
1 On 04/22/2013 03:44 PM, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
4 > On Monday 22 April 2013 15:17:20 Michael Mol wrote:
5 >
6 >> On 04/22/2013 03:04 PM, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
7 >
8 >> > Regarding devices which devices qemu-kvm supports, just take a look at
9 >
10 >> > following commands:
11 >
12 >> >
13 >
14 >> > Available net devices:
15 >
16 >> >
17 >
18 >> > qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,model=?
19 >
20 >> >
21 >
22 >> > Available cpu's:
23 >
24 >> >
25 >
26 >> > qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
27 >
28 >> >
29 >
30 >> > Available machines (if needed)
31 >
32 >> >
33 >
34 >> > qemu-system-x86_64 -machine ?
35 >
36 >> >
37 >
38 >> > General list of available devices:
39 >
40 >> >
41 >
42 >> > qemu-system-x86_64 -device ?
43 >
44 >> >
45 >
46 >> >
47 >
48 >> >
49 >
50 >> > Depending on your arch it might differ..
51 >
52 >> >
53 >
54 >> >
55 >
56 >> >
57 >
58 >> > Regarding virito devices:
59 >
60 >> >
61 >
62 >> > I highly recommend using those drivers. For my gentoo guests i always
63 >
64 >> > use virtio drivers for network devices (with vhost=on) and harddisks.
65 >
66 >> > (on windows guests only virito-net drivers) The performance gain is
67 >
68 >> > incredible. However, especially for the virtio harddisk driver, make
69 >
70 >> > sure you change fstab entries, because harddisk names change from sda to
71 >
72 >> > vda (or just use them from the beginning.
73 >
74 >> >
75 >
76 >> >
77 >
78 >> >
79 >
80 >> > If you going to try out desktop vm's too i also recommend qxl with
81 >
82 >> > spice. It's really fast and it also supports copy/paste (however you
83 >
84 >> > need an service for copy/paste on linux "app-emulation/spice-vdagent")
85 >
86 >> > and window resizing. Those features also work on windows.
90 >> Good to know. Does it work over the network, or does it presume local
91 >
92 >> connectivity? My primary use case is connecting to the box over
93 >
94 >> wireless. My secondary use case is connecting over a WAN link. Local
95 >
96 >> connectivity is out of the question for this VM server.
100 > It works over the network. I have all my vms on a server and i only
101 > access those vm's over network. As client i suggest net-misc/spice-gtk.
105 >> > Regarding libvirt my experience is actually very low since i setup my
106 >
107 >> > vms with an custom init script. You can take a look on it here:
108 >
109 >> > https://github.com/mm1ke/qemu-init/tree/devel
113 >> I'm actually not having any real difficulty setting up the VMs. As I
114 >
115 >> said, the matter is largely academic. It's really not difficult to set
116 >
117 >> up a guest primarily with virtio drivers, of course.
121 >> The "problem" I'm trying to solve is the apparent lack of documentation
122 >
123 >> mapping host kvm/qemu capabilities with guest kernel configurations
127 >> > I can also provide a basic kernel .config for the latest stable kernel
128 >
129 >> > on x64 and x86 if you are interrested.
133 >> Like Stefan, I'm also curious. I would probably go through and tweak a
134 >
135 >> number of network-related features (add a netfilter feature here, remove
136 >
137 >> a network stack component there), but it'd be interesting to look at.
141 > Below are both configs (kernel 3.7.10)(hope bpaste is ok).
142 >
143 > If you going to use them and don't use virtio-net make sure you enable
144 > appropriate net drivers (e1000,rtl8129,..), because i've disabled all of
145 > them.
149 > http://bpaste.net/show/93300/
150 >
151 > http://bpaste.net/show/93301/
152
153 Attachments are ideal; the mailing list supports them, and it's more
154 beneficial for the ml archives. (Even if gentoo infra's ml archives have
155 been down for a year, gmane et al are also archiving.)