From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 15:18:37
1 On Saturday 02 February 2008, Grant wrote:
2 > I thought CUPS was *the* way to print on Linux.  Is there another
3 > solution that would work better with Net::Printer?
4
5 CUPS is the latest in a long string of different print systems, all
6 trying to solve this infernally difficult problem called putting dots
7 on the right place on a bit of paper. And all systems seem to fail at
8 it.
9
10 Admittedly, CUPS is better than most and to my mind best suited to
11 modern printing needs. What amuses me is what kind of project would
12 recommend you not use CUPS, and what is their reasoning?
15 Alan McKinnon
16 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
17 --
18 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list