From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:50:12
1 On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Mol wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> [snip]
6 >>
7 >>> I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages.  It's been
8 >>> a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
9 >>> It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed.  I got
10 >>> the old blinky keyboard lights treatment.  :/
11 >>>
12 >>> Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
13 >>>  I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
14 >>> stable.  That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
15 >>> no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.
16 >>
17 >> Oh, certainly. Sometimes, I have to unmask packages (or versions
18 >> thereof) because I know of upstream fixes I want or need.
19 >>
20 >> As a general rule, though, I avoid doing it unless I have specific,
21 >> strong and compelling need.
24 > This could be one of those times.  The trouble I ran into became clear
25 > later on.  I had tried to build a init thingy that was built into the
26 > kernel.  It didn't work right so I left it behind.  Thing is, I forgot
27 > to disable that in the kernel config.  So, I was building a kernel with
28 > a broken init thingy and telling grub to use the init thingy built by
29 > dracut.  Can you imagine the fist fight that was being had?
30
31 I followed the thread; there's very little on this list I don't read,
32 or at least skim. :)
35 > I type all that to say this, unmask dracut, run dracut, add the init
36 > thingy to your grub line.  I'm more sure that it will work than I am of
37 > genkernel.
38
39 I'm pretty stubborn, and I tend to follow a depth-first search
40 algorithm while debugging, backtracking only when I hit a dead end. It
41 can take me longer than, say, a distro-hopper, but I like that I come
42 out with a better understanding of whatever it is I've been banging my
43 head on.
44
45 The genkernel docs say that if static versions of the requisite
46 packages don't exist, it will build them. If adding the 'static' USE
47 flags under /etc/portage/package.use fixes this use case of genkernel,
48 then I've got a valid bug to report, and the thing can get fixed.
51 :wq