From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel assistance building initramfs
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:37:46
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > [snip]
5 >
6 >> I might also add, genkernel is stable and has been for ages. It's been
7 >> a while since I tried it but the last time I did, it failed miserably.
8 >> It 'claimed' everything worked fine but when I booted, it failed. I got
9 >> the old blinky keyboard lights treatment. :/
10 >>
11 >> Just because something isn't marked stable doesn't mean it doesn't work.
12 >> I would guess that half the stuff on my system as I type, is not
13 >> stable. That would include all of KDE, portage and related tools plus
14 >> no telling how many other deps that got pulled in.
15 >
16 > Oh, certainly. Sometimes, I have to unmask packages (or versions
17 > thereof) because I know of upstream fixes I want or need.
18 >
19 > As a general rule, though, I avoid doing it unless I have specific,
20 > strong and compelling need.
23 This could be one of those times. The trouble I ran into became clear
24 later on. I had tried to build a init thingy that was built into the
25 kernel. It didn't work right so I left it behind. Thing is, I forgot
26 to disable that in the kernel config. So, I was building a kernel with
27 a broken init thingy and telling grub to use the init thingy built by
28 dracut. Can you imagine the fist fight that was being had?
29
30 I type all that to say this, unmask dracut, run dracut, add the init
31 thingy to your grub line. I'm more sure that it will work than I am of
32 genkernel.
36 >> Time to eat. That init thingy sucked it out of me a while back. After
37 >> a week of snacking on quick junk food, I'm hungry. I actually went
38 >> outside yesterday. o_O
39 >
40 > Beautiful spring weather up here in Michigan, clear skies and
41 > everything. I just hope it stays something like this for my wedding in
42 > a couple weeks.
46 I hope you have good weather too. I just been having health issues,
47 again. It's been a rough week or so.
48
49 Dale
50
54 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
55 how you interpreted my words!
56
57 Miss the compile output? Hint:
58 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"