From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:27:56
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Bruce Hill
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 09:24:20AM -0500, Todd Goodman wrote:
4 >> * Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> [121225 18:30]:
5 >> > >
6 >> > > Try reading the kernel Documentation. (e.g.,
7 >> > > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt.)
8 >> > >
9 >> > > initramfs is an improvement over initrd.
10 >> > >
11 >> > > Todd
12 >> >
13 >> > Having read it years ago it still fails to give me a good reason for using it.
14 >>
15 >> It gives plenty of good reasons.
16 >>
17 >> If they aren't good for you then fine.
18 >>
19 >> But if you read it you wouldn't be asking why initrd went away and was
20 >> replaced by initramfs.
21 >>
22 >> Todd
23 >
24 > Actually I had not read it in quite a number of years, did this morning, and
25 > you are entirely correct. Perhaps all those years ago when an initrd was
26 > required at times, I'd just held onto my mkinitrd script and didn't want to
27 > change; and since there's no need for an initrd now, I didn't actually read
28 > it, but clung to incorrect memories.
31 One interesting small point I got out of the docs that Neil pointed me
32 toward: That since linux-2.6 we're all using an initramfs
33
34 "The 2.6 kernel build process always creates a gzipped cpio format initramfs
35 archive and links it into the resulting kernel binary. By default, this
36 archive is empty (consuming 134 bytes on x86)."
37
38 So it's a nit but no one should be saying "I don't use an init thingy"
39 but rather "My init thingy is empty and has no jobs to do on my
40 system". (Or at least that's my understanding...)
41
42 - Mark