From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To Wifi or not to Wifi...
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 02:43:14
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> [15-07-29 03:32]:
2 > On Tuesday 28 Jul 2015 20:35:55 Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Meino.Cramer@×××.de <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> [150728 15:31]:
4 > > [..SNIP..]
5 > >
6 > > > Hi Todd,
7 > > >
8 > > > thanks for all your help and patience... :))
9 > > >
10 > > > The recursive(recursive(recursive).problem.).problem).problem has
11 > > > been solved by rebooting my PC (due to the new kernel) and restarting
12 > > > the tablet PC.
13 > > >
14 > > > Now I am fighting against dhcpd...as sson as I want to start that
15 > > > beast its telling me that dhcpd.ldap is missing. This was not
16 > > > installed (at least as an example) by emerge. I have no idea what
17 > > > is to get into that file.
18 > > >
19 > > > I will check create_ap...may be it is more intelligent than me in
20 > > > writing config-files ;)
21 > > >
22 > > > But unfortunately I have to stop my journey here for today...it is
23 > > > late here (9:00 pm) and I have to get out early tommorrow (4:00 am).
24 > > >
25 > > > But /I want/ to get this running finally.
26 > > > We will see.
27 > > > As soon I have something new, I will post more of the contents
28 > > > of my harddisk ;)
29 > > >
30 > > > Best regards and thanks again! 8)
31 > > > Meino
32 > >
33 > > Hi Meino,
34 > >
35 > > You're welcome. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help (and get this
36 > > solved!)
37 > >
38 > > I'm sure you will eventually.
39 > >
40 > > Please let us know how it goes once you get back to it.
41 > >
42 > > Good night,
43 > >
44 > > Todd
45 >
46 > A lot seems to have been progressed with since I last contributed to this
47 > thread. Given that WiFi related problems were solved thanks to Todd's good
48 > help, perhaps Meino should start a thread on setting up a local dhcp server?
49 >
50 > However, I would recommend that you set a static route, gateway and IP address
51 > on your tablet pointing to the PC and on the PC you configure IP Masquerading,
52 > so that it can NAT connections from the tablet to the Internet.
53 >
54 > However, if you must be running a dhcp server, then emerge and configure net-
55 > misc/dhcp on the PC.
56 >
57 > --
58 > Regards,
59 > Mick
62 Hi Todd, hi Mick,
63
64 !YEAH! It works!
65 create_ap did it! I have access to the internet on my tablet just by
66 fireing up create_ap.
67
68 There is one advantage of create_ap (beside creating a /working/ ap,
69 which I was not able to...;) over the setup below /etc: One can give
70 it an temporary SSID and password on the commandline - every
71 configuration is temporary. In my case this is very handy, since I
72 only need the AP for transferring files from and to my tablet. Makes
73 the thing /a little/ more secure...a /little/.
74
75 Still I have to figure out:
76
77 1) What create_ap does differently (and more correctly).
78 2) How I can assign a static IP to my tablet.
79 3) How I can change the MAC on my tablet.
82 Thanks for all your help and patience! :) 8)
83
84 Best regards,
85 Meino