From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:28:58
1 Grant wrote:
2 >>>> New problem: Booted into DSLinux, my HD does not appear so I can't
3 >>>> wipe it. blkid and fdisk -l only show the USB stick assigned to
4 >>>> /dev/sda which is how I accidentally wiped it in the first place.
5 >>>> I'll try another distro on the USB stick.
6 >>>>
7 >>>>
8 >>> If DSLinux is what I think it is, it may have been (on hindsight)
9 >>> rather obvious that it may not support the block device your system HD
10 >>> is on or the filesystem used. The DS, afterall, has fairly predictable
11 >>> hardware.
12 >>> Something like DBAN or SysResCD will have a better chance of
13 >>> supporting a wider array of hardware.
14 >>> Cheers,
15 >>> W
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >> I'm not sure if he is wanting to just use this to wipe the drive and then be
19 >> done with it or what but couldn't he just put the Gentoo CD image on the
20 >> stick and boot that up? Would that work? It has the dd command I think and
21 >> would most likely recognize his hardware as well.
24 > The problem with that is there doesn't seem to be a Gentoo ISO which
25 > will fit on a 512MB USB key. I tried to make it work once and failed.
26 > The other thing is going through the entire Gentoo installation just
27 > to sell the laptop. I'm not sure if the graphical installer is
28 > working these days.
29 >
30 > - Grant
33 Oh, I was thinking about the 8Gb or whatever size it was. Isn't there a
34 old CD that didn't have a full blown setup that was sort of small? I
35 found this:
36
37 ftp://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo/releases/x86/2008.0/installcd
38
39 It's a small one but a bit outdated. Of course, you don't want to
40 install from that I guess so it may not help any.
41
42 Dale
43