From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Preparing a laptop for sale
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 20:07:08
1 >>> New problem: Booted into DSLinux, my HD does not appear so I can't
2 >>> wipe it.  blkid and fdisk -l only show the USB stick assigned to
3 >>> /dev/sda which is how I accidentally wiped it in the first place.
4 >>> I'll try another distro on the USB stick.
5 >>>
6 >>
7 >> If DSLinux is what I think it is, it may have been (on hindsight)
8 >> rather obvious that it may not support the block device your system HD
9 >> is on or the filesystem used. The DS, afterall, has fairly predictable
10 >> hardware.
11 >> Something like DBAN or SysResCD will have a better chance of
12 >> supporting a wider array of hardware.
13 >> Cheers,
14 >> W
17 > I'm not sure if he is wanting to just use this to wipe the drive and then be
18 > done with it or what but couldn't he just put the Gentoo CD image on the
19 > stick and boot that up?  Would that work?  It has the dd command I think and
20 > would most likely recognize his hardware as well.
21
22 The problem with that is there doesn't seem to be a Gentoo ISO which
23 will fit on a 512MB USB key. I tried to make it work once and failed.
24 The other thing is going through the entire Gentoo installation just
25 to sell the laptop. I'm not sure if the graphical installer is
26 working these days.
27
28 - Grant