From: Dwayne Sykes <dwayne_sykes@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on an Asus netbook
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:40:23
1 On Sunday 13 September 2009 12:21:26 pm Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I'm planning to buy a netbook sometime in the next few weeks.
3 > The most likely choice is an Asus 1005HA :
6 > http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025389&
7 > cid=NBK.862.656
8 >
9 > It has a 1600 MHz processor, 1 GB memory & a 160 GB hard drive.
10 > Asus is a very reliable manufacturer in my experience
11 > & this version is the cheapest & looks as if it would meet my needs.
12 > Hopefully, the price will drop a bit more in the near future.
13 >
14 > My intended use is simply to be able to read, edit & make notes on texts,
15 > esp books I have downloaded (eg Jane Austen, Gibbon),
16 > while lying back in my chair or on my bed, not sitting up at my desk;
17 > It may also be useful to take to my office at the UoT
18 > to work on my transit archives there occasionally
19 > & might help at public meetings, making notes or checking documents.
20 > My desktop manager wb Fluxbox, my typical app Gvim,
21 > other regulars Terminal (Xfce), Xpdf, Feh: no KDE or Gnome;
22 > I might install the binary OO for a spreadsheet;
23 > I don't see myself using it for wireless Internet, video or sound.
24 > Most of the time, I sb able to run it plugged in, not from the battery.
25 >
26 > It comes with M$ XP installed in the factory (with Firefox),
27 > which I may keep in case there's a hardware failure under warranty
28 > (I can demonstrate it's not Linux which is causing the problem),
29 > but of course I shall use Linux for all my activities above.
30 > I thought re other distros to avoid a lot of slow compiling,
31 > but the advantage is a mirage: Slackware & Arch users have to compile
32 > kernels & I would have to learn how to do things their way to get
33 > anywhere; Mandriva has a version for EEE, but it's likely to default to
34 > KDE 4 (ugh!).
35 >
36 > I see myself using System Rescue to get started, reducing the XP partition,
37 > installing the Gentoo system + Kernel 2.6.31 + X , then a sparse set of
38 > apps; I might try compiling on my desktop machine, then copying the binary
39 > across. There are howto's on the Gentoo Wiki & elsewhere, eg
40 >
41 > http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installgentoo
42 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC_901
43 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC_1000HA
44 >
45 > Does anyone have warnings, suggestions or advice ?
48 I don't see a single problem with that. Compiles may indeed be a bit slow but
49 it will get done. And if you must compile on another machine look into
50 chroots. Another option is Sabayon. I know this is a Gentoo mailing list but
51 Sabayon is a derivative of Gentoo but with Entropy (it's package manager) it
52 doesn't have to compile and it even offers a GUI (though I don't use it much)
53 but it does keep portage and emerge can still be used. A CoreCD may be just
54 what you need (or a Gentoo chroot on a desktop and then transfer it to your
55 laptop).
56
57 I personally run a Gentoo system after having Sabayon 4.2 and I obviously
58 stuck with Gentoo so...