From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on an Asus netbook
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:21:31
1 I'm planning to buy a netbook sometime in the next few weeks.
2 The most likely choice is an Asus 1005HA :
3
4 http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=025389&cid=NBK.862.656
5
6 It has a 1600 MHz processor, 1 GB memory & a 160 GB hard drive.
7 Asus is a very reliable manufacturer in my experience
8 & this version is the cheapest & looks as if it would meet my needs.
9 Hopefully, the price will drop a bit more in the near future.
10
11 My intended use is simply to be able to read, edit & make notes on texts,
12 esp books I have downloaded (eg Jane Austen, Gibbon),
13 while lying back in my chair or on my bed, not sitting up at my desk;
14 It may also be useful to take to my office at the UoT
15 to work on my transit archives there occasionally
16 & might help at public meetings, making notes or checking documents.
17 My desktop manager wb Fluxbox, my typical app Gvim,
18 other regulars Terminal (Xfce), Xpdf, Feh: no KDE or Gnome;
19 I might install the binary OO for a spreadsheet;
20 I don't see myself using it for wireless Internet, video or sound.
21 Most of the time, I sb able to run it plugged in, not from the battery.
22
23 It comes with M$ XP installed in the factory (with Firefox),
24 which I may keep in case there's a hardware failure under warranty
25 (I can demonstrate it's not Linux which is causing the problem),
26 but of course I shall use Linux for all my activities above.
27 I thought re other distros to avoid a lot of slow compiling,
28 but the advantage is a mirage: Slackware & Arch users have to compile kernels
29 & I would have to learn how to do things their way to get anywhere;
30 Mandriva has a version for EEE, but it's likely to default to KDE 4 (ugh!).
31
32 I see myself using System Rescue to get started, reducing the XP partition,
33 installing the Gentoo system + Kernel 2.6.31 + X , then a sparse set of apps;
34 I might try compiling on my desktop machine, then copying the binary across.
35 There are howto's on the Gentoo Wiki & elsewhere, eg
36
37 http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:installgentoo
38 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC_901
39 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Asus_Eee_PC_1000HA
40
41 Does anyone have warnings, suggestions or advice ?
45 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
46 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
47 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca