From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses; I think I wrecked my fresh install
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 01:04:32
1 On 2020-12-29, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 05:11:36PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote
3 >> Hi Walter,
4 >>
5 >> > "-pch -roaming -sendmail -spell -tcpd -udev -udisks -unicode -upower
6 >> > -xinerama"
7 >>
8 >> mostly out of curiosity, why do you want to disable unicode support
9 >> here?
10 >>
11 >> This feels odd to me since utf8 has effectively become the standard
12 >> encoding over the past years.
13 >
14 > I don't know if this has improved over the years, but my initial
15 > experience with unicode was rather negative. The fact that text
16 > files were twice as large wasn't a major problem in itself. The
17 > real showstopper was that importing text files into spreadsheets
18 > and text-editors and word processors failed miseraby.
19
20 You must be talking about some sort of weird "wide" encoding (is there
21 such a thing as UTF-16?). I've never seen a file like that. Everybody
22 and everything uses UTF-8 these days and has for years. UTF-8 is a
23 superset of ASCII, and doesn't increase size of the file unless
24 non-ascii characters are used. Converting an ASCII file to UTF-8
25 encoding is a noop. An ASCII file _is_ UTF-8.
26
27 > I looked at a unicode text file with a binary viewer. It turns out
28 > that a simple text string like "1234" was actually...
29 >
30 > "1" binary-zero "2" binary-zero "3" binary-zero "4" binary zero, etc.
31 >
32 > This padding explains why the file was twice as large, and also why
33 > "a simple textfile import" failed miserably.
34
35 I've never seen a file like that. All the Unicode I run into is UTF-8,
36 and a UTF-8 file with the string "1234" is the same exact 4 bytes as
37 an ASCII file with the string "1234".
38
39 > On top of that Cyrillic letters like "m", "i", "c", and "o" are
40 > considered different from their English equivalants. Security experts
41 > showed proof-of-cocept attacks where clicking on "microsoft.com" can
42 > take you to a hostile domain (queue the jokes). I don't speak or read
43 > or write any languages which have thousands of unique characters.
44 > Seeing Chinese spam "as it was intended to be seen", is not a priority
45 > for me.