From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wireless...
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:18:05
1 I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless Broadcom) through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:
2
3 essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
4 key_MYWLAN="somekey"
5 config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
6 preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )
7
8 I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a more dynamic configuration.
9 I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to work.
10
11 My last attempt was with:
12
13 modules=( "wpa_supplicant" )
14 wpa_supplicant_wlan0="-Dwext"
15 wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
16
17 I also tried the iwconfig setup:
18
19 modules=( "iwconfig" )
20 iwconfig_wlan0="mode managed"
21 wpa_timeout_wlan0=15
22
23 Both these were based on configurations I found while researching gentoo wireless configurations:
24
25 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wireless_Networking
26
27 the wpa_supplicant man page possibly suggests uses "-Dbroadcom", but the following supports "-Dwext" since I have the b43legacy driver working (firmware extracted using b43-fwcutter a while back; dmesg reports version 0x127).
28
29 http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
30
31 I have both the iwconfig utilities and wpa supplicant installed. When I used wpa supplicant with either configuration it would just keep searching.
32
33 Now, my wireless configuration is currently WEP; and I'd like to upgrade to WPA/WPA2 once I can get a wireless tool on the system as well.
34
35 Is there anything I'm doing wrong with the configuration above?
36
37 Also - what is the correct GUI for configuring connections under KDE4? I know of the WPA Supplicant GUI; and the GNOME GUI; but would like something under more directly KDE4.
38
39 KNemo just puts up monitors that are pretty useless (though look pretty).
40
41 TIA,
42
43 Ben
44
45 P.S. It seems my Linksys WRT54G v3 needs a firmware update for WPA2. So right now, I'd just like to be able to configure dynamically for my WEP network; then I'll focus on going to WPA/WPA2.