From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] services on ASUS 1005HA
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:49:03
1 Philip Webb schrieb:
2 > With the required driver atl1c in the kernel, my toy Horace had no trouble
3 > logging in to my ISP & actually downloaded a file for an emerge.
4 >
5 > Can anyone who uses one of these machine advise me
6 > how far the usual services are relevant for a netbook ?
7 > -- hald (+dbus) vixie-cron slocate run on my desktop machine,
8 > but don't seem necessary for a netbook which I wb using only occasionally;
9 > I have installed sysklogd , which seems useful in case of problems.
10 >
11 > Also, what do people use to monitor the battery ?
12 > And what's best for the webcam ?
13 >
14 > Thanks again for the advice so far: I hope my reports are helpful to others.
17 Better replace vixie-cron with fcron. fcron is more suitable for PCs
18 that don't run 24/7. Alternatively use anacron with vixie-cron.
19
20 I'd trash slocate completely. Especially when your toy has a cheap SSD.
21 If it doesn't, well, it all depends on whether you use locate regularly.
22 If not, trash it. If you use it, replace it with mlocate which should be
23 a bit faster on updating its DB.
24
25 I wouldn't run any kind of syslog unless you are currently debugging
26 your system. It will only spin up the disk/wear out the SSD.
27
28 Have a look at app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools and sys-power/powertop if
29 you haven't already.
30
31 hald might be useful/necessary for plug'n'play. It might also help with
32 external displays. dbus will most certainly be used by some desktop
33 application/environment.
34
35 Hope this helps
36