From: naveen <naveenzedoc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] inputs on Gentoo emulation on a Mac OSX
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2017 08:36:11
1 On Wed, Feb 08, 2017 at 01:12:13AM -0500, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would appreciate inputs on emulation of Gentoo on a Mac OSX.
5 >
6 > For many years I have been using VirtualBox on the Mac as a host and a
7 > Gentoo guest. It seems it is becoming difficult to get the
8 > virtualbox-guest-additions package to compile and install on the
9 > Gentoo guest. I don't know whether this is a difficulty coming from
10 > the virtualbox package itself. However, I am considering an emulation
11 > alternative such as VMWare Fusion to avoid problems with portage
12 > updates. I wonder whether the experience with the packages that need
13 > to be installed on the Gentoo guest side for VMWare are less
14 > problematic than the corresponding virtualbox packages.
15 >
16 > Thank you.
17 >
18 > --
19 > Valmor
22 Hi Valmor,
23
24 I am presently running gentoo as a VM(virtualbox) on macos seirra.
25 I have app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.0.32:0 and
26 x11-drivers/xf86-video-virtualbox-5.0.32:0 installed and running.
27 I didn't face any problems while compiling/installing the package.
28 Could you specify the issues you faced while installing/upgrading
29 virtualbox-guest-additions package. I have used VMware Fusion barely
30 so I don't have enough experience to comment
31 on the overall quality it delivers or packages pertaining to it in
32 portage.
33
34 Regards,
35 Naveen