From: Brian Waters <brianmwaters@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Avoiding HAL
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 23:01:24
1 Hi there. I recently took a few months off from Gentoo to try Ubuntu
2 (I heard it "just works", and that is a Good Thing) only to find that
3 I'd much rather be back on Gentoo again. (The fact that Ubuntu ships
4 with PulseAudio means that sound it basically broken out of the box,
5 and I'm excited for Xfce 4.8.)
6
7 It's been a few months since I've been around, and I'd like to know if
8 HAL has been fully deprecated yet. I'd like to avoid using it if at
9 all possible, since that seems to be the way of the future. So I'm
10 wondering what versions of udev and X server (and any other packages,
11 dbus maybe?) I need to unmask in order to get rid of the HAL
12 dependency.
13
14 Thanks a lot!
15