From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: audio with TV crd
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 22:10:03
1 On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:19:46 +0100
2 Uwe Thiem wrote:
3
4 > On 23 July 2006 02:38, Nick Rout wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 10:18:48 +0100
6 >
7 > > I find that tv:// doesn't work at all when using composite in, but
8 > > /dev/video0 does.
9 >
10 > So far, I have to agree.
13 > > My device also has one physical line in (two plugs, red=right, white=left),
14 > > but ivtvctl -A shows four line-ins! I find that all of -q1, -q2, -q3 work
15 > > with the line-in. -q0 is the tuner and -q4 is static.
16 > >
17 > > nick@media:~$ ivtvctl -A
18 > > ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUMAUDIO
19 > > Input : 0
20 > > Name : Tuner Audio In
21 > >
22 > > Input : 1
23 > > Name : Audio Line 1
24 > >
25 > > Input : 2
26 > > Name : Audio Line 2
27 > >
28 > > Input : 3
29 > > Name : Audio Line 3
30 > >
31 > > Input : 4
32 > > Name : Audio Line 4
33 > >
34 > > Are you really sure that there is an audio signal coming out the line thats
35 > > plugged into the line-in? (Obvious I know!)
36 >
37 > Yes. If I plug that line into Line IN of my soundcard I get audio. I actually
38 > tried to feed composite into the TV card and audio into my soundcard.
39 > Used "mplayer /dev/video0" and it kind of worked. But it isn't a solution for
40 > two reasons:
41 >
42 > 1.
43 > Audio and video are far out of sync that way.
44 >
45 > 2.
46 > My goal isn't to watch tapes but to burn old tapes to DVDs. For that, I need
47 > the MPEG2 stream coming out of /dev/video0 to be combined video and audio.
48 >
49 > Uwe
50
51 Yes, exactly. There is a delay for buffering or processing or something
52 inherent in the pvr card. There is no such delay through the sound card.
53
54 I suppose the card could be broken. Sometimes they are. Any chance of
55 taking it back to the shop and asking for another one?
56
57 Or *cough* trying it in windows?
58
59 I also wonder whether you should try either the mythtv-users list or the
60 ivtv-dev mailing lists. Probably the first thing they will ask for is
61 the log information from dmesg between these two lines:
62
63 ivtv: ==================== START INIT IVTV ====================
64
65 necessary info
66
67 ivtv: ==================== END INIT IVTV ====================
68
69 Just looking at this I see mine contains:
70
71 tveeprom 0-0050: audio processor is CX25843 (idx 37)
72 tveeprom 0-0050: decoder processor is CX25843 (idx 30)
75 Also I note via lsmod that I have a cx25840 module loaded. Presumably
76 that takes care of the sound. It may pay to look at your output - there
77 are many variations of chipsets on these cards, particularly between PAL
78 and NTSC models.
81 > -- > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
84 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
87 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list