From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: move instalation from one system to another one.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:44:52
1 On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > Daniel da Veiga wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
5 >> <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Sebastian Günther a écrit:
8 >>>
9 >>>> If you want such functionality, use Debian or Ubuntu.
10 >>>
11 >>> Or just use the good C*FLAGS and kernel options.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Nicolas is right, you can (at your own risk, of course) do a migration
15 >> like this, so "DON'T" is not really the only option, and changing
16 >> distros is NOT an option in most cases. Gentoo is perfectly capable of
17 >> that.
18 >>
19 >> Change flags in make.conf for generic compatible ones, compile a new
20 >> kernel (I used genkernel for the migration, and compiled a specific
21 >> kernel for the new machine later), emerge -e world and transfer the
22 >> system (I used rsync, and had to deal with some network issues),
23 >> everything worked (after some fine tunning for the new hardware) for
24 >> me.
25 >
26 > Yeah, but that way you're doing emerge -e world twice. One on the old
27 > system, and one on the new system (to optimize for the specific CPU again;
28 > -march=native). It's usually faster to install from scratch and only
29 > transfer your setting to the new system.
32 Yes, but still, both emerges may run while you work, so that's not
33 wasted time, while on a new install, your machine is useless till you
34 get all that you need running (that's the compilation time for X, an
35 office suite, a window manager), and after that, you gotta transfer
36 all your files and settings (that may be tedious), and all of this
37 takes a time you could use to work...
38
39 All I'm saying is that you really don't need to start from scratch, I
40 personally find it more productive and fast (not to mention less
41 boring) to prepare and transfer the whole install, and only configure
42 the new hardware (that is part of a normal new install, so, you can't
43 avoid that), instead of waiting for compilations to end so you can use
44 packages on your new machine. Besides, I'm letting the official
45 portage tool do its job...
46
47 Anyway, it is MHO. In some cases, this may fail and a install from
48 scratch is the only option left. But I never had this bad luck.
51 Daniel da Veiga