From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: move instalation from one system to another one.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:17:06
1 Daniel da Veiga wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht
3 > <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> Sebastian Günther a écrit:
5 >>
6 >>> If you want such functionality, use Debian or Ubuntu.
7 >> Or just use the good C*FLAGS and kernel options.
10 > Nicolas is right, you can (at your own risk, of course) do a migration
11 > like this, so "DON'T" is not really the only option, and changing
12 > distros is NOT an option in most cases. Gentoo is perfectly capable of
13 > that.
14 >
15 > Change flags in make.conf for generic compatible ones, compile a new
16 > kernel (I used genkernel for the migration, and compiled a specific
17 > kernel for the new machine later), emerge -e world and transfer the
18 > system (I used rsync, and had to deal with some network issues),
19 > everything worked (after some fine tunning for the new hardware) for
20 > me.
21
22 Yeah, but that way you're doing emerge -e world twice. One on the old
23 system, and one on the new system (to optimize for the specific CPU
24 again; -march=native). It's usually faster to install from scratch and
25 only transfer your setting to the new system.