From: Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: move instalation from one system to another one.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 18:55:32
1 Nikos Chantziaras a écrit:
2
3 > > Nicolas is right, you can (at your own risk, of course) do a
4 > > migration like this, so "DON'T" is not really the only option, and
5 > > changing distros is NOT an option in most cases. Gentoo is
6 > > perfectly capable of that.
7
8 Thanks to you. You explained my thoughts better than I could.
9
10 > > Change flags in make.conf for generic compatible ones, compile a new
11 > > kernel (I used genkernel for the migration, and compiled a specific
12 > > kernel for the new machine later), emerge -e world and transfer the
13 > > system (I used rsync, and had to deal with some network issues),
14 > > everything worked (after some fine tunning for the new hardware) for
15 > > me.
16 >
17 > Yeah, but that way you're doing emerge -e world twice. One on the
18 > old system, and one on the new system (to optimize for the specific
19 > CPU again; -march=native). It's usually faster to install from
20 > scratch and only transfer your setting to the new system.
21
22 You are right too. IMHO, a new install is what you have to do for
23 a such occasionally hardware upgrade.
24
25 Note the "emerge -e world" is not what we need here as it will leave
26 broken system packages (the system won't boot on the new processor).
27 The '-e' option looks for the USE flags only.
28
29 We are supposed to know what we do with Gentoo. Having hardware specific
30 options makes the distribution in a possibly jail. Nevertheless, Gentoo
31 and Linux offer all generic options to ensure x86 processor-like
32 migrations.
35 Nicolas Sebrecht