From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't remove device-mapper can't install it either
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:05:41
1 On Saturday 21 November 2009 20:48:04 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > Going through a rough patch after a world update. The SD card
5 on my
6 > netbook doesn't get mounted, ext2 filesytem not found etc. I've
7 had
8 > this problem before which I traced to the lack of support for
9 SD cards
10 > in the kernel. This time it's something else. Nothing wrong
11 with the
12 > fs, it can be checked and mounted manually. Device-mapper is
13 not in
14 > the world file but does exist in /etc/init.d and can be started
15 and
16 > stopped OK. When I use it I get messages in the boot console of
17 being
18 > incompatible with my baselayout-1.
19
20 There's your problem right there. Your device-mapper can't work
21 with baselayout-1. So, your options:
22
23 Upgrade to baselayout-2 and openrc. You'll have to do it sooner
24 or later, and right now seems to be to be a very good time to do
25 it.
26
27 device-mapper has moved into lvm2 (as lvm is the primary consumer
28 of device-mapper). If device-mapper is not installed according to
29 portage, and you have files left, then they are orphans left over
30 because of CONFIG_PROTECT and can be deleted. Then emerge lvm2
33 > So, I try to unmerge it, but of course portage claims I don't
34 have it.
35 > And if I try to emerge it, the new version is blocked by the
36 version
37 > I'm supposed ot have?!
38 >
39 > In an earlier post 'device-mapper', somebody suggested
40 installing lvm2
41 > and not using device-mapper but this doesn't work for me --
42 assuming
43 > my problem has anything to do with device-mapper.
44 >
45 > Maxim
49 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com