From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Don't disable 'introspection'
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:16:32
1 On 16/07/2015 22:53, walt wrote:
2 > I don't understand 'introspection' enough to know why we need it, but
3 > apparently we do, so don't use the -introspection useflag like I did.
4 >
5 > The trouble I introduced a few weeks ago when I disabled introspection
6 > was subtle enough that I didn't realize until yesterday that I even had
7 > a problem.
8 >
9 > Portage had been doing mildly insane things that other people were not
10 > seeing, so as a test I removed the -introspection useflag and spent the
11 > entire day rebuilding packages. My portage problem appears to be
12 > fixed. I hope.
13 >
14 > If anyone can splain what introspection does I'd be grateful.
15
16 It's a tricky concept if you haven't worked with Object Oriented
17 Programming, so lt's look at the USE description:
18
19 introspection - Add support for GObject based introspection
20
21 Doesn't say much, right?
22
23 Object Oriented languages tend to compile to byte-code, just like Java
24 does, and so does Python. It's so the run-time interpreter can look up
25 at run-time which function exactly needs to be run (this can't be
26 determined statically). A really neat trick is to "look inside" objects
27 not just to see what it has, but also how the innards work, what
28 properties an object has, and other neat stuff. That's what introspect
29 means - to "look inside". This magic is what makes dynamic IDEs
30 possible, where they prompt you for all manner of stuff while typing
31 code, and even generate boiler-plate code that it hasn't been hard-coded
32 to deal with.
33
34 All sounds very fancy and theoretical. I know what introspection does,
35 but I can't know if I need this type of it or not. Apparently (because
36 stuff breaks horribly when it's off), packages that use GObject seem to
37 rely on this feature.
38
39 Therefore, switch it on and let portage get on with it.
40 That's the best answer I can come up with.
44 Alan McKinnon
45 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com