From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Several problems of a newbie
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 19:01:52
1 060322 Meino Christian Cramer wrote:
2 > I installed a vanilla kernel
3
4 Gentoo-sources has always worked for me.
5
6 > Second problem: I wanted to emerge gnome.
7
8 That certainly suggests you have a problem ... (grin)
9
10 BTW you don't need to install the whole of KDE or Gnome
11 to use packages which depend on them. You can see lists of packages
12 at http://packages.gentoo.org/ or via the package Kuroo,
13 a front-end for Portage which resembles the Mandriva pkg-management tool.
14
15 > While emerging, there are messages displayed too fast
16 > Is there any logfile of the emerging process written to somewhere ?
17
18 add to /etc/make.conf the line 'PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/emerge-logs',
19 which will store it all in that dir (you can clean it out when you want).
23 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
24 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
25 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list