From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Several problems of a newbie
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:11:01
1 Hi,
2
3 ...thanks a lot for all your helping answers to my previous
4 questions!
5 I opened a new thread, because I got some problems.
6
7 In the meanwhile "my" gentoo system has grown fast. KDE is
8 installed, X is installed and other nice things, too.
9
10 But there are some little oddities:
11 I installed a vanilla kernel, cause I dont like patched kernel
12 sources that much. It is only a feeling and by no means a mistrust in
13 the gentoo developpers...but...(sorry).
17 First problem:
18 I configured the kernel to accept the parameter "vga=" and added "9"
19 for the mode, which I found working on my old system very well. I
20 used the same config (same hardware, same PC) on my new system.
21
22 What happens? The kernel boots and shows the tiny font I like so
23 much. But suddenly while working on the bootscripts, the size of the
24 fonts switched to a bigger (ugly, rectangle-shaped font). More
25 mysterious: ALL BLUE letters were cancelled by a horizontal bar. Only
26 the blue ones (I am NOT joking! ;O)
27
28 Since the boot process was that fast, I couldn't realize, what stage
29 of the boot was currently processed.
33 Second problem:
34 I wanted to emerge gnome. After a while this fails with:
35
36 In file included from apmsleep.c:57:
37 /usr/include/time.h:160: error: redefinition of `struct itimerspec'
38 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:37: warning: array 'cpu_sibling_map' assumed to
39 have one element
40 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:38: warning: array 'cpu_core_map' assumed to ha
41 ve one element
42 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:46: warning: array 'x86_cpu_to_apicid' assumed
43 to have one element
44 /usr/src/linux/include/asm/hw_irq.h:30: error: storage size of `irq_vector' isn'
45 t known
46 /usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:99: error: storage size of `irq_affinity' isn
47 't known
48 /usr/src/linux/include/linux/irq.h:115: error: storage size of `pending_irq_cpum
49 ask' isn't known
50 apmsleep.c:60: warning: 'rcsid' defined but not used
51 {standard input}: Assembler messages:
52 {standard input}:125: Warning: size of "_sigpoll" is already 8; not changing to
53 4
54 make: *** [apmsleep.o] Error 1
55 rm apm.o
56 !!! ERROR: sys-apps/apmd-3.2.1_p4 failed.
57 !!! Function src_compile, Line 50, Exitcode 2
58 !!! emake failed
59 !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.
60
61 I couldn't save more of this, since that was all I could see on the
62 screen (big font problem...see above).
66 Third problem:
67 While emerging something often there are messages displayed as fast
68 as they are vanishing in the endless space of bits behind my monitor
69 ;O)
70
71 Is there any logfile of the emerging process written to somewhere ?
74 Kind regard and thank you very much for any helpful reply in advance
75 ! :)
76 mcc
77 --
78 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list