From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to play quicktime (*.mov) videos with firefox
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 18:04:44
1 On 29 Aug 2009, at 22:34, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> Well you can't expect emerge to read your mind. If you want
4 >> something, enable it. This is Gentoo, after all.
5 >
6 > Ok... everybody is suddenly an expert... hehe.
7 >
8 > My thinking ran something like: Mplayer may play *.mov files with its
9 > own codec... therefor quicktime codecs might interfere....
10 >
11 > Ok, so it isn't all that likely...
12
13 Actually, I think there used to be an mplayer USE flag that behaved in
14 exactly this way - it was associated with RealPlayer &/or their codecs.
15
16 However I would assume this to be the exception rather than the rule,
17 and one would generally assume that USE="x y z" adds support for x, y,
18 z.
19
20 I believe there has in the past & for this reason been some confusion
21 over this real / RealPlayer use flag. The devs masked it to prevent
22 Real's own crappy binaries being used (in favour of mplayer doing the
23 decoding itself) and I think there was some protest from people who
24 didn't apprecaite that their mplayer would continue to stream Radio 1
25 without it.
26
27 Stroller.