From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kvm/libvirt and kernel configuration
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:31:55
1 On 04/22/2013 05:40 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 > Am 22.04.2013 03:06, schrieb Michael Mol:
3 >> So, I'm setting up number of kvm guests running Gentoo. KVM guests have
4 >> a pretty limited set of device drivers they need to support.
5 >>
6 >> Is there a relatively up-to-date list of kernel configuration options?
7 >> I.e. the list of NIC drivers, video drivers, I/O drivers...
10 > For net and io I always go with the virtio drivers [1]. For video: I
11 > don't care, my VMs are all headless, but when creating a desktop VM I
12 > suggest looking to vmvga or qxl.
13 >
14 > [1] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio
17 For video, I tend to use Cirrus. (I'll get the serial console stuff
18 figured out eventually; I know how that works in the guest, but haven't
19 prodded it in the host.) I didn't see a guest-side driver for vmvga, and
20 I have no idea what qxl is. (I didn't hit search engines for it, I was
21 merely searching around via menuconfig's / search.)
22
23 Virtio drivers are awesome, of course.
24
25 What I'm really looking for, though, is a list of all the devices the
26 qemu/kvm host can emulate, and the most-specific guest driver. I.e. If I
27 wanted to make a generic kernel configuration that contained the optimum
28 drivers for all possible qemu/kvm configurations, what would be the
29 minimum feature set?
30
31 While I'm on the subject...menuconfig's search functionality indicated
32 there was a vmguest-targeted CPU accounting in the kernel, but I
33 couldn't get the HAVE_VIRTUAL_CPU_ACCOUNTING dependency flag set, and
34 couldn't figure out what set it. Any ideas there?