From: Michael Mair-Keimberger <m.mairkeimberger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kvm/libvirt and kernel configuration
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 19:05:11
1 Regarding devices which devices qemu-kvm supports, just take a look at
2 following commands:
3 Available net devices:
4 qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,model=?
5 Available cpu's:
6 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
7 Available machines (if needed)
8 qemu-system-x86_64 -machine ?
9 General list of available devices:
10 qemu-system-x86_64 -device ?
11
12 Depending on your arch it might differ..
13
14 Regarding virito devices:
15 I highly recommend using those drivers. For my gentoo guests i always use
16 virtio drivers for network devices (with vhost=on) and harddisks. (on
17 windows guests only virito-net drivers) The performance gain is incredible.
18 However, especially for the virtio harddisk driver, make sure you change
19 fstab entries, because harddisk names change from sda to vda (or just
20 use them from the beginning.
21
22 If you going to try out desktop vm's too i also recommend qxl with spice.
23 It's really fast and it also supports copy/paste (however you need an
24 service for copy/paste on linux "app-emulation/spice-vdagent") and window
25 resizing. Those features also work on windows.
26
27 Regarding libvirt my experience is actually very low since i setup my vms
28 with an custom init script. You can take a look on it here:
29 https://github.com/mm1ke/qemu-init/tree/devel
30
31 I can also provide a basic kernel .config for the latest stable kernel on x64
32 and x86 if you are interrested.
33
34 mike