From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hubris?
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2015 16:14:05
1 On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Bruce Schultz <brulzki@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 29 July 2015 6:18:43 AM AEST, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:29:18 +1000, Bruce Schultz wrote:
4 >>> But I think you do if your btrfs is raid 1. The kernel can't mount
5 >>> multidisk btrfs until it done a btrfs device scan in userspace, run
6 >>> from initramfs.
7 >>
8 >> According to the btrfs wiki you can pass
9 >> device=/dev/sda1,device=/dev/sdb1 on the kernel boot line.
10 >
11 > I'd forgotten that option. Btrfs wiki also says this though:
12 >
13 > "Using device is not recommended, as it is sensitive to device names
14 > changing. You should really be using a initramfs. Most modern distributions
15 > will do this for you automatically if you install their own btrfs-progs
16 > package."
17
18 I was wondering if *anyone* has actually seen this work. I'm referring to
19 booting a raid1 btrfs volume without performing a user-space device scan,
20 using only the kernel `rootflags=device` setting. I have been struggling with
21 this in various settings and am slowly starting to believe that this scenario
22 is simply broken.