From: Bruce Schultz <brulzki@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hubris?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:53:39
1 On 29 July 2015 6:18:43 AM AEST, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 05:29:18 +1000, Bruce Schultz wrote:
3 >
4 >> >You may not need an initramfs to run root on btrfs as long as btrfs
5 >is
6 >> >compiled into your kernel (I haven't looked into it closely though).
9 >> But I think you do if your btrfs is raid 1. The kernel can't mount
10 >> multidisk btrfs until it done a btrfs device scan in userspace, run
11 >> from initramfs.
12 >
13 >According to the btrfs wiki you can pass
14 >device=/dev/sda1,device=/dev/sdb1 on the kernel boot line.
15
16 I'd forgotten that option. Btrfs wiki also says this though:
17
18 "Using device is not recommended, as it is sensitive to device names changing. You should really be using a initramfs. Most modern distributions will do this for you automatically if you install their own btrfs-progs package."
19
20 https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Using_Btrfs_with_Multiple_Devices#Registration_in_.2Fetc.2Ffstab
21 --
22 :b