From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 06:40:50
1 On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 04:52:55 +0300, Mike Myers <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3
4 > In Gentoo, the system is updated while you are
5 > using it.
6 > This causes us users to modify whatever we're running to suit all these
7 > changes.
8
9 As far as I know, Gentoo releases a Reference Platform twice a year. So,
10 you can upgrade twice a year, once a year, once in two years - all as you
11 please. It will be similar to other distros, but better.
12
13 > I'd rather be able to specify that I'm using like
14 > the 2005
15 > profile, and then when I try to do emerge -u world, I don't have to deal
16 > with my applications going from one major version to another major
17 > version
18 > all by themselves and then breaking with no easy way to revert back.
19
20 As discussed recently in another thread of this list, there are ways to
21 get back easily, backup of the portage tree being one of them. However, I
22 guess your problem can be solved easier - just do not do -u world. Since
23 its goal is exactly to produce what you do not want, why should you? How
24 many packages do you really want to be the latest? If there are a few, it
25 is easy to update them individually; if there are many, you may create a
26 virtual package in the overlay and update it.
27
28 I do not here much about upgrade really breaking a Gentoo installation. If
29 it did, then a fresh install also would be broken, an extremely rare case
30 with stable arch. Thus, if something does not work after upgrade, then
31 configuration files are out of order. Gentoo already has everything
32 necessary to examine them one by one and fix as necessary.
33
34 > Please tell me there's some solution to this? I haven't seen one
35 > mentioned
36 > anywhere yet. Even with Gentoo's occasional problems, I like it too
37 > much to
38 > use any other distro but I'd definitely like to see better version
39 > management than what its got, which is none.
40
41 As far as I understand, no, there is no solution. If you upgrade any
42 software, you have to upgrade the dependencies and configuration. All that
43 can be offered, and is offered by many distros, is the upgrade option that
44 should work if you installed the distro and did not change anything. Even
45 that does not work pretty often, please read the reviews. For a Gentoo
46 user the reason is evident - they do not have dispatch-conf. Some vendors
47 have already stopped bragging that an upgrade does not break anything,
48 example - Vista.
51 Andrei Gerasimenko
52 --
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list