From: Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:05:52
1 On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:45:50 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 25/11/2014 09:15, Gevisz wrote:
4 > >> I even can agree with them that a new place of that button was
5 > >> > logical, ergonomic and saved screen space.
6 > > Only now, I have realized that, logically, it was possible
7 > > to rearrange all the elements of Unity in such a way that
8 > > it was logical, ergonomic, saved space, and moreover kept
9 > > the window frame close button at its usual place, but
10 > > it was not possible with the Unity configuration anyway.
11 >
12 > This is incorrect.
13 >
14 > Unity has always been able to reposition the window control
15 > buttons, right from the first release.
16
17 I still have Ubuntu 12.04 (with Unity) on one of my partitions
18 (but never use it for more that 5 minutes from the startup to
19 shutdown, anyway :).
20
21 So, I can check if your statement is true. Just tell me
22 how to reposition the window control buttons in Unity.
23
24 I promise to report the result of this test here.
25
26 Back in 2012, after trying to find how to do it, I looked into
27 Ubuntu forum and found out that many users complained about it
28 and always got the answer that it is impossible and that Ubuntu
29 developers know better what the users need than the users itself.
30
31 But even if you prove to be right (which I very much doubt),
32 for me it turned out easier to find out how to install and
33 maintain Gentoo (with gnome2, dwm and xfce4) than to find
34 out how to reposition the window control buttons in Unity.