From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 19:56:36
1 On 25/11/2014 19:03, Gevisz wrote:
2 > On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:45:50 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 25/11/2014 09:15, Gevisz wrote:
5 >>>> I even can agree with them that a new place of that button was
6 >>>>> logical, ergonomic and saved screen space.
7 >>> Only now, I have realized that, logically, it was possible
8 >>> to rearrange all the elements of Unity in such a way that
9 >>> it was logical, ergonomic, saved space, and moreover kept
10 >>> the window frame close button at its usual place, but
11 >>> it was not possible with the Unity configuration anyway.
12 >>
13 >> This is incorrect.
14 >>
15 >> Unity has always been able to reposition the window control
16 >> buttons, right from the first release.
17 >
18 > I still have Ubuntu 12.04 (with Unity) on one of my partitions
19 > (but never use it for more that 5 minutes from the startup to
20 > shutdown, anyway :).
21 >
22 > So, I can check if your statement is true. Just tell me
23 > how to reposition the window control buttons in Unity.
27 I have no idea dude. That was 2 1/2 years ago and I'm a Gentoo user so
28 have zero interest in Ubuntu's Unity.
29
30 Google knows the answer, you just have to ask the right questions. I did
31 it then on a netbook that long since moved over to Mint then Bodhi and
32 Google showed me the way.
33
34 I don't know the answer to your question.
37 > I promise to report the result of this test here.
38 >
39 > Back in 2012, after trying to find how to do it, I looked into
40 > Ubuntu forum and found out that many users complained about it
41 > and always got the answer that it is impossible and that Ubuntu
42 > developers know better what the users need than the users itself.
43 >
44 > But even if you prove to be right (which I very much doubt),
45 > for me it turned out easier to find out how to install and
46 > maintain Gentoo (with gnome2, dwm and xfce4) than to find
47 > out how to reposition the window control buttons in Unity.
55 Alan McKinnon
56 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com