From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: masked package woes
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:59:02
1 On 11/26/05, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Where/how do you look at the portage tree in the full complement
4 > of packages that are available or what's not in the portage tree?
5 > Does one just look in /usr/portage/distfiles or some other special
6 > directory, or is there a place where one can peruse the entire tree
7 > regardless of what they have install on a gentoo system?
8
9 No, distfiles is wrong. That only shows you the source archives for
10 things that you have installed.
11
12 The entire tree is in /usr/portage. For example, all possible
13 net-analyzer packages are /usr/portage/net-analyzer. "find
14 /usr/portage -name '*.ebuild'" will show you all ebuilds in the tree,
15 masked or not, installed or not. Compare this to what you actually
16 have installed under /var/db/pkg.
17
18 Also, the portage CVS tree can be viewed at:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=gentoo-x86
21
22 > I only said this because 'emerge -s jffnms' has previously shown
23 > the package (in red) as masked. Plus this page was created:
24 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/docs/jffnms/docs/jffnms.html
25
26 Ok, but view his blog here:
27
28 http://dev.gentoo.org/~angusyoung/blog/
29
30 Notice the statement "...which I hope to add to portage in the near future".
31
32 It is entirely possible (but incorrect) to place ebuilds downloaded
33 manually into the /usr/portage tree. It is also possible (and
34 correct) to place those ebuilds into PORTAGE_OVERLAY.
35
36 You (or someone else with root access to the system) must have done
37 one or the other on the system that shows it as available.
38
39 -Richard
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list